Wednesday 12 October 2011

Goodbye Ohio

The return to regular life has totally shunted this little project to the bottom of an incredibly long to-do list but I'm not finished yet!  


On my last day of the internship, I went into the archive to finish up my last project and then the staff ordered in Chinese for lunch (it was actually Thai food but I guess those distinctions get blurred a bit in places that aren't very diverse!).  I also visited the impressive psychology museum which had (for those who know a bit about psychology) exhibits showcasing the original Milgram experiment machine, the uniforms worn by the prisoners and guards in the Zimbardo prison experiments and several other apparatuses from very famous experiments.  

Then it was time to say goodbye and head home to prepare to meet the O'Tooles!

The Building where I did my internship



As I drove out of Akron I grabbed a few shots of the skyline.  The tall buildings that you can see are the headquarters of the big tyre companies that I mentioned in my first post.  





The main street in Akron.  Very nice actually, just needed more shops at ground level to encourage pedestrian traffic (like most of the cities we visited in the region).

The University of Akron Campus

The fancy glass building is the polymer technology centre paid for by BF Goodrich Tyres.  Apparently the Goodrich family are great philanthropists.



I also wanted to get a shot of one of the major parts of our experience in the rust belt.  GIANT factories.  This one was a Ford factory near Cleveland Airport.  It took several minutes to drive past it, so huge.  In Detroit these factories were lined along the streets one after the other after the other.  It was incredible to see a physical reality of mass manufacture.  

In the early evening we drove to Cleveland Airport to pick up the O'Tooles.  We then went back to their house, had lasagna and talked and talked and talked about our respective summer experiences, our houses, politics and much more!  

It was such a wonderful experience to finally meet them after so many months of e-mailing and after staying in each others' houses!  


We would definitely do a house swap again!

No comments:

Post a Comment