Thursday 1 September 2011

Take me out to the...


Ball game!  






When we started to plan this trip, we would ask our American friends what quintessentially American things we should try to do while in the US.  Lots of the advice centered around various sacred foods (the brat, the Ohio pies, etc) but every single person also told us to go to a Baseball game.  A bit of internet research then revealed that Graham's team (the Seattle Mariners) would be playing the Cleveland Indians while we were there.  Great!


So, on Tuesday (Aug 22) we decided to head into Cleveland after work for a game.  We arrived about half an hour before the game and picked up $8 tickets (take that NHL!).  We were definitely in the nose bleed seats but we had a great view of everything and were surrounded by lots of passionate teenage supporters.    


Starting with the national anthem, played by a local high school band.

Wonderful view of the Cleveland skyline.

It will not be a surprise many of you that prior to this night I had absolutely no idea what baseball was about.  I had never watched a game on TV let alone in person.  So, being somewhat daunted by the prospect of 3 hours of watching chubby guys in ugly outfits run around bases, I came prepared with supplies.  


First, a book with the rules of baseball which I picked up at the local bookshop on my way home from work.  When the lady at the counter asked me what it was for, I told her I was about to go to my first baseball game.  She was stunned and kept saying "really? you've never been to a baseball game?"  So funny.

Taking a break from reading up to clap for my favourite player Ichiro Suzuki
(chosen based on name alone).

Game starts.
My rules instructor and fellow peanut muncher.

The next time filling strategy was food.  



Closely following the advice of our friends, we purchased hotdogs a-plenty, beer and a bag of peanuts.



As the game progressed it got darker and the high school band played another few songs for us.



On another food break we got much closer to the field and I had some fun trying to photograph the ball in mid-air.

Getting ready to pitch the ball...

It's in midair here but going so fast you can't see it. 
Much easier to capture after it's been hit!
After some fiddling with my settings I got the shutter speed up high enough to finally get my ball-in-mid-air shot.  Can you see it?

A closer shot.

 Another team with a Louuuuuuuuuu to support!
(for non-Vancouver readers this is a Canucks reference)



By the seventh inning things were starting to get quite exciting as the teams had been tied for almost the whole game.


Seventh inning stretch.


My favourite player steps up to bat...  The suspense!  Unfortunately he struck out.

In the last inning the Mariners moved ahead (despite the Indians bringing in their big shot pitcher) by a point to win!  Everyone was on their feet and some people had their baseball caps turned inside out (can't remember what that means).  


Here's the score from the Indians website.


I really loved my first baseball game, it is such a fun, relaxed way to spend an evening.  Much more enjoyable than the violence of ice hockey! (hopefully I won't have my citizenship revoked for that comment).


Thanks for the suggestion friends!





3 comments:

  1. Well done, Nathalie! We're glad you liked the game and SO impressed you made it to the very end. The cap thing is called a "rally cap" and is what you do when your team is behind and you want them to "rally" and win. We both laughed out loud that you brought (and took) a book and I love that you said they won by a point! You guys are the best at embracing new cultures. Hope the hotdogs were delicious! Can't wait to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I clearly need to refer back to my book so I can figure out what to put instead of "point"! Thanks for the explanation of the cap, Graham told me at the time but I had totally forgotten :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! I love a good baseball game and am so glad you had that experience! Sitting in the nosebleeds is the best - it's where the most loyal fans sit. -Becca

    ReplyDelete